2017 has been a rough year for LGBT persons, and LGBT discrimination, especially Transphobia, has reached an all-time high.
That being said, we've compiled a handy resource to help LGBT persons and Allies, avoid businesses which actively fund, lobby, or discriminate against LGBT persons, or otherwise hate/mistreat.
The following companies have all done one or more of the aforementioned. This list will be added to and edited to be kept up to date. Details and Citations will be provided when possible or practical to do so.
If you support LGBT Persons, it would be prudent to discontinue supporting these businesses.
List of Anti-LGBT Companies in North America:
- Barilla (Pasta Company) This company has gone on record saying that "gays can eat another brand of pasta" www.snopes.com/politics/sexuality/barilla.asp
- L'Oreal (Cosmetics) This company hired a Transgender Spokeswoman, and promptly fired her after she spoke out against systematic racism/discrimination against people of colour. www.theguardian.com/global/2017/sep/04/munroe-bergdorf-on-the-loreal-racism-row-it-puzzles-me-that-my-views-are-considered-extreme
- Salvation Army (Religious Cult / Retail Store) This heavily Anti-LGBT company masquerades as a charity, while systematically witholding resources/help to anyone who doesn't fit their ideals. They refuse service to Gay, Lesbian, and Transgender persons, even letting a Trans women freeze to death on their shelter doorstep, rather than let in a Transgender person. This company heavily lobbies/funds Anti-LGBT efforts. www.huffingtonpost.com/zinnia-jones/the-salvation-armys-histo_b_4422938.html
- Canadian Blood Services (Blood Donations) This service has banned all Transgender persons from donating blood, simply because they are Trans, even after recently lifting their Gay Blood Ban. "Blood, It's In You To Give.. Unless You're Transgender." www.cbc.ca/news/health/blood-donation-transgender-1.3649890
- Victoria's Secret (Underwear) This company actively denies Trans persons from trying on their products or using their dressingrooms. www.reddit.com/r/TwoXChromosomes/comments/2yy6n7/so_a_transgender_friend_went_to_victorias_secret/ & www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/07/13/transgender-woman-faces-discrimination-at-victorias-secret-store/ & www.reddit.com/r/MtF/comments/4890tw/victorias_secret_its_store_policy_you_might/
- Urban Outfitters (Clothing) This company sells Transphobic "Tranny" Greeting Cards, as well as not allowing Trans persons use their Dressing Rooms. www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/19/urban-outfitters-tranny-greeting-card_n_1364589.html & www.teenvogue.com/story/urban-outfitters-trans-dressing-room
- Purina (Pet Food) This company discriminates against Gay/Lesbian Employees, sides with Anti-LGBT movements, and only scored 45/100 on the Human Rights Campaign Scale.
- Curves (Women's Gym) This Gym denies access to Transgender Women.
- Wal-Mart (Big Box Store) This company inhumanely treats, and discriminates against LGBT Employees, most harshly Transgender persons. www.advocate.com/commentary/2017/11/17/lets-not-pretend-walmart-still-hostile-lgbt-workers & www.newnownext.com/walmart-transgender-lawsuit/08/2017/
- Revlon (Cosmetics) This company's CEO heavily funded the Trump Campaign https://crooksandliars.com/2017/12/should-revlons-ceo-be-donating-trump
If you would like to suggest an add/edit, please e-mail;
About The Journalist:
Emily Valrite is the Owner/Manager of Digital Mayhem Radio, and has been writing articles for DMR's Newsfeed for over 7 years. Emily is a Transgender Awareness Advocate, Journalist & Photographer.
My Amazon Wishlist: http://a.co/avr0XbI
My Surgery Fundraiser: youcaring.com/EmilyV